MindRetrieve Blog

MindRetrieve - an open source desktop search tool for your personal web

Monday, April 10, 2006

Fixing TortoiseCVS's shattering glass sound

TortoiseCVS plays an irritating sound when it encounters an error. It is downright embarrassing when you are sitting in a cafe and from your laptop comes this
shattering glass noise.

What's annoying is I couldn't find a way to change it or turn it off. I tried the usual places and searched the web. Still I couldn't get the noise to leave me alone. Finally I found the right place to do it. Go to Windows - Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Sounds Tab. Change the TortoiseCVS Error sound to something more gentle.

10 Comments:

  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Enough to make one loose faith in open source programming :) You know it's some geek who has his stuff configured to never have an error and a your problem if you don't. Thanks for the fix!

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Randeep said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great post thanks. It was even worse when listening to music on headphones, the shattering glass used to scare the hell out of me. So really, thanks.

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Tom said…

    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but thanks. Like the commenter above, I won't get scared anymore...

     
  • At 3:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice blog you got here. It would be great to read something more about that topic. Thanks for giving this data.
    Joan Stepsen
    Home gadgets

     
  • At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Noella said…

    Awesome! Thanks to your work , I could get rid of it without much effort!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger icequake said…

    Great, finally I can get rid of this terrible sound.

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks, failed to find this myself.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Paul said…

    Thanks so much for posting this. I would be listening to some really soothing music, then this sound would literally startle me so much that I felt like punching something. I think it actually elicited a fight response in me. Yikes!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate that sound too. Thanks your post

     

Post a Comment

<< Home