MindRetrieve Blog

MindRetrieve - an open source desktop search tool for your personal web

Friday, August 05, 2005

Status update

Development has been slow since I came back from PyCon. During that time I have moved to a new day job. While I am very glad to shave a large part off my monstrous two-hour one way commute, the unintented consequence is I also lost a lot of development time I had on the commuter train. You never how productive a long train commute can be.

In anycase now I have craved out a new time to move things forward, often during marginal hours at coffee shops. A lot of good things in managing personal web library are coming out already.

Also looking at SVN I notice I have spent weeks hacking perhaps no more than a thousand line of code over and over again. Despite the code size some very interesting functionarity has slowly come into shape. It must some unimpressive if you measure productivity by number of lines of code written. But I find this a very interesting experience as I have high regard of simplicity.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger James Gray said…

    I've heard a few people talk about coding on the train using a laptop. It might be worth a shot if you have one.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Tung Wai Yip said…

    I did. I did. Sometimes I wrote more code on the train that the entire day in the office. Now after taking a new job you find me complain that about a 15 minutes ride is too short ;-)

    Anyway, now I moved camp to various coffee shops, always on lookout for that hidden power outlet and taking my chance on neighbor's weak wifi signal ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home